Thanks to the Non-GMO Project, we can easily and confidently purchase foods verified to be free of genetically modified organisms — “Non-GMO”. From nut butters to energy bars, crackers to bread, cooking oils to salad dressings, lentils to beans, cookies to brownies…even Chicken Feed…check out their website for a long list of products!
Why buy Non-GMO products? There are many reasons – one to consider is that virtually all commercial GMOs are engineered to withstand direct application of herbicide and/or to produce an insecticide.
To get you started, here’s 5 of my faves:
- Bragg’s Liquid Aminos – Made from non-GMO soybeans and purified water, it contains 16 amino acids. Great on salads, veggies, rice & Beans, popcorn, and even in my kitchen sink smoothie!
- Dave’s Killer Bread – From Powerseed to 21 Whole Grains and Seeds, these breads are organic and Non-GMO.
- Annie’s Organic Goddess Dressing – A creamy tahini and lemon dressing with chives and parsley…great on rice & bean bowls!
- Mary’s Gone Crackers – When you crave a crunchy yet wholesome snack, these crackers are made with brown rice, quinoa, flax and sesame seeds.
- Food Should Taste Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips – Mmmm, maybe snacking is my problem…these sure go good with salsa and homemade bean/rice bowls!
One rule of thumb: A product can be non-GMO without being organic, but a product can’t be organic without being non-GMO.
If you care about what you eat and want to avoid chemicals, shop organic, shop Non-GMO. Our food choices are an important step on our ecofriendly journey! Bon Healthy Appetite!