Camping season is here! There are so many ways to camp in an eco friendly way…too many to list. But here are 5 ideas to get you started!
1. Reusable dinnerware – Camp tableware is so fun, it’s easy to skip the plastic, styrofoam or paper disposable products!
2. Reusable Water Bottle – oh so eco friendly and healthy if you use a BPA one!
3. Eco Friendly Soap – Forget those soaps with harsh chemicals! Use soap that’s good for the environment and easy on your skin like Dr. Bronner’s organic pure castile liquid soap (which comes in a variety of scents!).
4. Natural bug spray – I’ve had years of backpacking trips with legendary mosquitoes and deer flies (oh, I could tell you some stories!). I’ll admit — sometimes the bugs are so bad you’ll do anything in your power to keep them at bay! In addition to the discomfort of itchy insect bites, there are good health reasons why you don’t want to get bitten (WebMD provides a good discussion about this!). One option to using the famous (or infamous?) DEET-based products are those made with Lemon Oil Eucalyptus. Worked for me this past week! It’s DEET-free and supposed to repel mosquitoes for up to 6 hours (but should not be used on children under the age of three).
5. Leave a Clean Campsite – Before leaving your campsite, pick up all litter, including “micro litter” – those tiny pieces of candy wrappers, bits of aluminum foil, little pieces of paper that got away, matches that fell on the ground, etc. This includes leaving a clean fire pit without micro-litter in it! Speaking of fire, it’s critically important you make sure your fire is completely out!
Well, there you have it. A few ideas to get you started! Get outdoors, explore nature and be Eco Friendly!!
Tent Camp in Alaska Photo Credit: Paxson Woelber
Product photos courtesy of Amazon.com